To address the root causes of inequality, discrimination and injustice in B.C. by shifting laws, policies, practices and cultures. We do this work through education, research, advocacy, inquiry and monitoring.
A province free from inequality, discrimination, and injustice where we uphold human rights for all and fulfil our responsibilities to one another.
- Identify and promote the elimination of discriminatory practices, policies and programs
- Develop, deliver and support research and education about human rights
- Create policies, guidelines and recommendations to prevent discrimination and ensure policies, programs and legislation are consistent with the BC Human Rights Code
- Promote compliance with international human rights obligations
- Approve special programs to improve conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups
- Intervene or represent complainants in human rights proceedings before the BC Human Rights Tribunal and other courts and tribunals
- Conduct human rights investigations and inquiries and issue reports and recommendations
- Make special reports to the Legislature about human rights in B.C.
- Inquire into matters referred to BC’s Human Rights Commissioner by the Legislative Assembly