The Commissioner is visiting the Province in the safest way possible right now – from her home! Until we can travel to meet with communities across B.C., we are hosting virtual regional conversations.
Do you have questions about your rights and responsibilities under B.C.’s Human Rights Code? Join us to learn about protected grounds, discrimination and human rights in B.C.
Did you know that BC’s Office of the Human Rights Commissioner was only recently re-established in September 2019? As we launch our work to address the root causes of inequality, discrimination and injustice in B.C. by shifting laws, policies, practices and cultures, we can’t wait to hear from people across British Columbia about the pressing human rights issues that are impacting your lives.
Most conversations will take place on Thursdays from 2:30-4:30pm PST using Zoom.
The conversation will include an overview of the Office of the Human Rights Commission, discussion on BC’s Human Rights Code, and a conversation about human rights issues affecting your region.
- Rural/Remote -August 6***
- Northeast -August 20
- Metro Vancouver -September 17
***A note on the upcoming Rural/Remote conversation:
Very early on we decided on a separate gathering for rural and remote communities to meet together to speak about their unique human rights interests and issues. For our rural and remote session, we would greatly appreciate your support in helping communities participate in this conversation. Here are some ways you could help:
- Share an invitation widely to any organizations or individuals that could speak to human rights issues affecting rural and remote communities
- Collect questions and comments from your communities about B.C. human rights issues in rural/remote communities and email them to Emily Chan, Research and Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com by Tuesday, August 4. We will try our best to answer these submissions during the conversation so that you can pass on our responses to those who brought forward the requests through you
- Host a physically-distanced viewing party during or after the call (we will post the recording) with your communities
Thank you to everyone who participated in our past sessions:
- June 11, Interior
- June 25, Northwest
- July 9, Vancouver Island/Coast
- July 23, Fraser Valley
Please RSVP below to receive the meeting link the day before your region’s conversation.
Any questions? Contact Emily Chan, Research and Engagement Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that with electronic communications there is the risk that it could be intercepted in transit or sent to the wrong address. If you are concerned about confidentiality, you should send your message to us by a secure means.
Data being submitted via this form is solely for the purposes of providing event related updates. If you have any questions about how your data will be used please feel free to contact our Privacy Officer at email@example.com or 778-698-9125.